Saturday, September 3, 2016

Lovely to see you

The air was warm, damp, full of voices and rank with the smell of cheap beer and sweat. The crowd moved rhythmically, like seaweed under the tide. The floor, sticky with spilled drinks, was crowded and tense with the promise of sweaty, more intimate nights. It wasn't my scene. The women were hot and the men too but I had to remain focused, lust could wait. My perch was a stool in the back, taken from a table over crowded with young pups freshly 21. Their shot glasses were stacking up and their ability to be coherent was inversely related. They didnt interest me too much besides the fact they might make enough of a ruckus to blow my cover. Have already been here two hours, mixing my time feigning interest in the bad outside and musing over the drink options at the bar. I ordered a whiskey coke and have been nursing it the last forty minutes. I needed to be sharp but didnt need the keenest edge. The booze calmed me enough.

It was supposed to be another easy one. Follow the girl, see what she does. I don't normally take these kind of jobs, a matter of misguided principle i suppose, but they paid decently enough. I wasn't sure she would be here but this was one of her three top hangout spots when the man was out of town. Had to do a little digging on her social media, which always makes me dirty but not as dirty as a telescopic lens peering in through windows from shady parking spots, to get some geolocation data of where some photos had been taken. Thankfully, one of her friends was a bit careless with her privacy and it didn't take too long to find this place. So I wait. There's a physics notion that to increase the likelihood for any two particles to meet, one should stay still and that's exactly what I intended to do. Stillness and patience were traits that were honed by years of waiting and being the intermediary for my family. I think most of my impatience had been burnt away years ago. The night was still young, my drink was mostly water at this point as the ice had all but vanished, and their were plenty of pretty things in short skirts and tight tops to look at. Could be worse I shrugged to myself as I casually checked my phone again. Still no message which is good news at this point. I was just about to check some emails when I heard a familiar voice. Sweet, if but a little too high pitched with a little too much emphasis on the consonants as if it pained her a little to say them.

I have a bit of a thing for voices. I know everyone can recognize certain voices

No comments:

Post a Comment